Karolinska Institutet, Sweden

LEADING SWEDISH MEDICAL UNIVERSITY MODERNIZES ITS ANATOMY TEACHING

Karolinska Institutet, Sweden

At Karolinska Institutet (KI), around 1,600 students yearly will benefit from using the Sectra Visualization Table in their anatomy education. KI, one of the world’s leading medical universities, accounts for slightly more than 40 percent of academic medical research in Sweden and provides the largest offering of educational programs in medicine.

A new way to teach

“The visualization table allows us to modernize and increase the quality of our teaching,” says Sandra Ceccatelli, Head of the Department of Neuroscience in charge of the anatomy teaching at KI. “The table opens up unique opportunities to convey basic knowledge about the body, offering a whole new way to teach anatomy to our students.”
Interacting with 3D images of actual human bodies helps students at KI to gain an enhanced understanding of the human anatomy and also provides opportunities to see variations in the anatomy between individuals.
“To study a real body is the best way to learn anatomy. It has previously been the preserve of medical and dental students, but now all students studying anatomy will have similar possibilities,” says Professor Björn Meister, Department of Neuroscience, KI.

Sharing competence and knowledge

To further enhance the benefits of the Sectra Table, KI has chosen to connect to Sectra’s education portal, a unique concept for sharing patient cases with other seats of learning around the world that use Sectra’s table. This allows KI to share in materials from other universities around the world that use the visualization table.
 “We will use this chance to share our competence and knowledge with other teaching institutes around the world,” says Björn Meister.